Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Stumblebumming




















LetterPoem to Linda Gracen

my last morning in Mendocino 
I see red rose petals scattered through 
a Cyprus grove on the headlands
velvety bright surprise, like finding you again
at Ten Mile, perched above white water
a vista as spectacular as your smile 
and the amazing capacity of your heart 
that cradles the walking wounded 
their stumblebum migration to mental health
not unlike my own return each year 
to my abandoned heart, all those 
still beating along the coast that speak to me 
of braver choices than my own
even the glazed-eyed highway walker 
pad-padding to and fro in her flip-flops
relentless in her unfathomable quest
and dusty Spencer in decade-old dreadlocks 
forever hitching rides between Mendocino 
and Fort Bragg, and I wonder what if I’d stayed
what if I returned, what if I rediscovered
the rhythm of a heart not lost but merely 
misplaced like our friendship along the 
many miles I’ve traveled away and back again 
always yearning for what gets left behind 
on this meandering trail going no place much
after all

#writer #writerslife #writing #author

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Thought You Liked Me.

That was Savvy's soft reply when Avery, her older sister, asked to please be left alone to read her dragon book in peace and quiet.  Tha...