Friday, September 30, 2016

How Things Came to a Head in the Music Room

I sub for the Louisburg, Kansas, school district--whatever hole they need filled, I try to expand into for a day. Today, I covered for Broadmoor Elementary's vocal music teacher. She gave me the option of showing a video on drumming and rhythm around the world nine times or rehearsing nine batches of kids for an all-school Veteran's Day performance at the high school. 

I reached for the high note, and 16 classes took their turns warbling their way through six patriotic tunes, some traditional, one really sad, and some great fun--e.g., Neil Diamond's "America." We totally nailed the ending of five exclamations of "TODAY!!!"
Then halfway through one of the rehearsals, a student, whose eyes were clearly not front and center, said, "Why is there a toilet in that closet?" I walked over to see what he was talking about, and sure enough, there was a squatty version of a toilet with a black seat lying on the closet floor. After much inspecting and giggling and ado, I told them it was probably a prop for a show, which encouraged more giggling and ado. 

Then, in the midst of our very next number, a woman I did not recognize came in, walked between me and the chorus, gathered up the toilet, and walked out with it. Seriously? Like . . . what? There was an emergency that called for a traveling toilet? 

To their great credit, the students continued through the number, albeit with bursts of laughter, questioning looks, and head shaking. If nothing else, students at Broadmoor Elementary have learned the show must go on. I was flush with pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Thought You Liked Me.

That was Savvy's soft reply when Avery, her older sister, asked to please be left alone to read her dragon book in peace and quiet.  Tha...