Friday, September 9, 2016

White Moths and Challenged Children

A student discovered this white moth on the red brick
building and shared it with classmates filing into the
room after recess, 24 index fingers carefully stroking
the strange, fluffy head.
Some of us are  more special than others.  

I've been subbing in the Louisburg, Kansas, schools, at nearly every grade level--that's how hard up they are for subs. I mean, a former English teacher cluelessly waving her arms in front of 60 band students is probably not how you'd choose to invest your education dollars. But needs must.

I've always known teaching is a great way to learn, but recently I experienced an actual epiphany. Delivered by 24 fifth graders.

I've covered classes with special ed kids either in the class or coming and going with paraprofessionals overseeing them, and I've wondered at the wisdom of this blending. I wondered as a first grader slapped another student and then tipped chairs and solemnly stripped decals from the wall. 

I wondered some more as a first grader made illegible marks on the dictation worksheet. 

And I wondered as the two special ed kids entered my room as I read to my students while they filled in their agendas and waited for recess to begin. To be honest, I was annoyed with the loosely held together kid in thick glasses who kept biting his forearm and twisting in his seat. 

When it was time for the two visitors to return to where ever they came from as my own room filled with energy in readiness for recess, one of my kids said of the arm biter, "He knows a song in Spanish." I looked at the visitor, and sure enough, he stood to face the class and sang in Spanish. The kids applauded enthusiastically. Then the other boy counted in Spanish, again to applause and hearty waves and shouts of "Bye!"

I learned that including kids who are challenged in regular classes not only gives them better exposure to learning, it teaches those who get to know them acceptance and probably compassion and certainly how to treat others as they themselves would wish to be treated.

I also learned I'm somewhat challenged, but still capable of learning. It was a good day.


#author #writer #writerslife #louisburgschool #specialeducation #special_ed #whitemoth  






No comments:

Post a Comment

I Thought You Liked Me.

That was Savvy's soft reply when Avery, her older sister, asked to please be left alone to read her dragon book in peace and quiet.  Tha...